Oct 9, 2016

Final Sierra Weekends

Weekends are now synonymous with leaving town.  It’s become natural to leave, as I just don’t want to be in LA Friday though Sunday if I can help it.  The more I leave on these weekends the more I want it to be permanent. 
Andy came along for the ride (not that he needed convincing) and we spent a nice weekend enjoying the final autumn days before Sierra Winter comes around.  I didn’t get to spend as much time as I would like in the Sierra this summer but other mountains called.  Time to make up for some of it.  As Andy was in taper mode (read: having nightmares) for his Big Backyard Ultra in Tennessee and I was still in recovery mode we planned to take the weekend slow.  We camped at Lake Sabrina Friday night and took in the palette of fall colors the aspen groves showed off.  The next morning we headed off on a mellow hike/run on the trails passing several lakes until basking in the warm rays of the sun at Hungry Packer Lake.  If only everyday could be like this.

Lake Sabrina

Andy running happy


Sierra Golden Trout

Hungry Packer Lake w/ Picture Peak

Winter is coming

After our 13.7 mile fun we headed to Schat’s Bakery for lunch and bread purchasing (they finally had the whole wheat bread in stock!).  On the way to Horseshoe Meadows to spend the final evening it was the perfect opportunity to visit the Manzanar Internment Camp, which is now a historical site.  I remember one of my classmates in high school reading Farewell to Manzanar and that name always stuck.  I’ve also passed it countless times with never a moment to spare to visit.  Today was not one of those days.  I encourage anyone to visit this important piece of American and Japanese history.
A nice and quiet night by the fire was spent at Horseshoe Meadows where the occasional coyote howls and sparkling cosmos highlighted the evening.







Horseshoe Meadow Rd & Whitney Portal Road Junction

No comments:

Post a Comment