Aug 30, 2010

Summer 2010 Recap

As summer of 2010 is coming to a close I reflect back and make a determination of whether it was a "successful" one.  Probably since my elementary school days, I continue to have a deep belief that summers should be for play outside.  As a kid it meant playing outdoors from sunup to sundown and living in the moment, but we probably never ventured any further than several blocks.  Now as a grown-up kid those feelings have never disappeared, but now my playground is basically anywhere of my choosing.  As far as this past summer is concerned I would give it a resounding yes as to whether I consider it a successful summer.  All the trips I lined up went without a hitch even with the limited days in between trips.  I had most things planned since February and everything was contingent upon whether I was able to get the early 6 week slot (May 24-July 2) for my grad school summer affiliation.  Fortunately, everything worked out in that department allowing the trips I had planned come to fruition. In the subsequent posts I will discuss the five treks (Eastern Grand Canyon, Trans-Catalina Trail, John Muir Trail (2nd time), Sierra High Route section, and the Wonderland Trail) and post photos starting with the Eastern Grand Canyon.  I still have one more bike trip lined up with my girlfriend Megan as we continue to piece together the Pacific Coast of the United States; Santa Monica, CA to the Mexican border over Labor Day weekend. That will officially be the last trip of this summer. I will also discuss the trail running I take part in this time of year, especially with my first 50 mile trail run in October to possibly attempt to qualify for Western States 100.

No comments:

Post a Comment